|Date Posted||September 23, 2022|
Trades & Services
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E) systems.
For more information please go to and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD).
Lead/Perform rigging operations working within repair teams, under the Supervision of a multi-disciplined Trade Supervisor. Involves heavy lifting, frequent stooping or bending and possible working assignments in overhead structures, confined spaces or beneath machinery. Strict adherence to safety, quality standards, good housekeeping habits, high level of critical thinking/reading comprehension, and frequent travel/overtime are required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Requires no supervision/oversight. Has experience in the trade qualifications and can perform most tasks required as a Rigger.
- Must be able to understand and perform the inspection, set up, maintenance and operation of various rigging equipment and hand tools used in the trade as well as the ability to select the correct rigging equipment to execute safe rigging operations, calculating weight, size safety and interference.
- Has the ability to align, level, lift, maneuver and place loads using mutli-point lifting operations in confined areas.
- Coordinate lifts with on-site Supervisor and Ships Force and direct other trade personnel to assist rigging operations.
- Install fixtures, jigs, supports and targets to ensure proper alignment during rigging operations.
- Perform as a team member, assisting other trades during an installation, modification or repair operations.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma in Rigging and/or military and/or civilian Rigging experience within a repair department or shipyard.
- Must have the ability to obtain government base access.
- Knowledge and practical skills tests required.
- Overhead crane qualification, CDL, fork lift qualification and SUBSAFE Qualification.
- Must be able to obtain a Secret/Confidential security clearance.
This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUM work.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces , k neel, jump, run, work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection