|Date Posted||July 30, 2022|
Trades & Services
Position Description: Prepare detailed estimates for the project based on the design documents, narratives, and specifications, focusing on the Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection trades.
Reports to: Preconstruction Manager / MEP Manager
Essential Duties & Responsibilities :
Specifically relating to the mechanical systems:
- Communicate estimate and scopes of work to the Turner staff, architects, engineers, and owners.
- Prepare quantity take-offs, analysis, estimates, and studies for all Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection items incorporated in the scope from conceptual design through completed construction documents. Preliminary design work may be required to complete conceptual estimates.
- Analyze existing site conditions and all contract documents (plans, specifications, etc.) to determine required scope that is not already indicated.
- May supervise Assistant MEP Estimators, Estimating Assistants and/or Interns.
- Develop working relationships with local material suppliers and equipment vendors to solicit accurate and current pricing of plumbing fixtures, HVAC equipment, piping & sheet metal material, and miscellaneous material pricing.
- Develop working relationships with local Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection sub-contractors to build and maintain a list of qualified bidders for all projects.
- Perform constructability analysis of project documents. Communicate design and constructability issues to the project team per the project contract.
- Provide first costs analysis and participate in life cycle analysis with the design team.
- Ensure general conditions and general requirements items are properly addressed in the estimate including, but not limited to, items such as temporary heating/cooling, including estimating of natural gas consumption during construction.
- Coordinate equipment pricing with Turner Logistics for Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection estimates.
- Develop a value analysis by defining alternatives to the proposed Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection systems, materials and equipment that are more cost efficient.
- Act as liaison with engineers, design consultants, subcontractors, other Turner staff, and owner s representatives to resolve Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection issues related to the project preconstruction efforts.
- Prepare estimates and proposals for all contract types including lump sum, GMP, Cost Plus, etc.
- Participate in estimate reviews with the design team and client.
- Participate in project hand-off to operations to ensure proper transfer of knowledge from Preconstruction to operations.
- Prepare scope requisitions for the bidding/procurement of Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection systems; coordinating with fellow estimators to eliminate scope gaps and overlaps.
- Lead the evaluation of subcontractor proposals relative to their scope of work. Determine scope coverage and manage risk of scope gaps.
- Assist project staff in evaluating large change orders.
Qualifications: Bachelor s Degree in Engineering plus a minimum of five years related Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection estimating experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience. Proven written and verbal communication abilities; proficiency with computer applications, including Microsoft Office suite. Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule. Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to occasionally climb permanent and temporary stairs, climb ladders, negotiate work areas under construction, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Occasionally requires passenger use of construction personnel hoists. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job regularly requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk, hear and stand. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work in an office or on-site at the construction work site. In the office environment, the noise is usually quiet to moderate. In the onsite setting, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in this work environment is usually moderate to very loud. May perform other duties as assigned. Where applicable, all activities will include disabled and veterans organizations.
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities/ sexual orientation / gender identity. VEVRAA Federal Contractor