|Date Posted||September 23, 2022|
Requisition ID: 157699
Job Level: Entry Level
Home District/Group: Northwest District
Department: Project Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Our mission is to make a di?erence and we o?er opportunities for you to make one too. We depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-minded construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we o?er huge career and travel opportunities with the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up (or under). There's a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we o?er fast-paced excitement and ful?llment you won't ?nd anywhere else. In addition, we look to hire you to join the entire Kiewit family for a career. This is not just a job, single project, or steppingstone
You will be required to perform engineering work in connection with a wide variety of heavy civil projects that range in size, di?culty, and duration. You will also be involved in the district estimating unit at various points in your career, which involves quantity takeo?s, time studies, cost estimating, participating in estimate reviews and bid close-out.
Kiewit's Northwest District is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington. We primarily perform heavy civil projects specializing in earth moving, transportation, roadways, water resources, and underground utilities. We are looking for hardworking individuals with a passion for construction who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty! Our current opportunities are spread across the entire west coast including Alaska and Hawaii.
We have projects across the west coast including Alaska and Hawaii, in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate as business requires.
- Assist in interpretation of drawings and specifications for field crews and craft supervision
- Perform quantity calculations by taking measurements and determining percentage of completed/installed materials and work
- Assist in the preparation of work plans and work packages
- Assist in field surveying and work layout support including elevation, control points, and compilation of as-built data
- Assist in compiling, processing, and confirming daily labor timesheets
- Assist in the preparation of Job Hazard Analysis (JHA's)
- Assist in providing solutions related to earth moving, transportation, roadways, water resources, and underground utilities and construction operations
- Participate in jobsite safety reviews, toolbox meetings, mass safety meetings, and safety training
- Order and schedule material deliveries
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate work groups on the jobsite
- Supervise field operations
- Perform material takeoffs from drawings, specifications, and other contract documents
- Perform basic engineering calculations and technical drafting to support field operations
- Assist engineers to gather and prepare data for submittal or transmittal to the customer, vendors, subcontractors, governmental agencies, and internal use
- Participate in the preparation of purchase orders and subcontracts, performing minor solicitations and purchasing as requested
- Schedule maintenance and performing updates as directed by others
- Assist in the maintenance of basic project recordkeeping and correspondence functions including daily reports, photographs, requests for information (RFIs), and memorandums
- Enter data into the job cost system and participate in reviewing cost reports with jobsite management
- Assist in generating change orders and as-built data to be reviewed by the Project Manager
- Provide field support and supervise subcontractor operations
- Assist in reviewing and analyzing historical data relative to the project, incorporating various productions and costs appropriate in preparation of a bid
- Complete a plan and specification review for an assigned project, assessing the risk areas and bringing them to the attention of the Senior Estimator
- Complete material and quantity takeoffs according to bid documents
- Must be willing and able to work in the heavy Civil, Construction Industry
- Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in a construction-related field of engineering, examples are civil engineering, mechanical, construction management, mining, geotechnical
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Experience with leadership and management of people, communication (written and verbal), planning, and organization
- Willingness to travel and relocate to small and large cities as business requires as we operate on a national scale, not regional
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
- Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
- Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time including working rotating schedules, shift work, or weekend work as required by projects
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
- Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
- Strong time management ability and attention to detail
- Must have a valid Driver's License
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Previous internship experience is preferred
- Ability to begin or continue working with our company without requiring sponsorship for employment now or in the future
Other common names for this role: Office Engineer, Project Engineer, Field Engineer, Engineer 1, Engineer I
- Regular, reliable attendance
- Work productively and meet deadlines timely
- Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
- Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
- Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
- May work at various different locations and conditions may vary.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that's among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.