CP&C Technologist BCU09-110
Location: Kelowna (x2) and Waneta (X1) BC
Deadline for Applications: December 11, 2009
Reports to: Foreman, Substation Maintenance - Kelowna /Supervisor – Waneta
Job Specification: The Communications, Protection & Control (CP&C) Technologist is responsible for the conduct of installation, maintenance and repairs on all telecommunication, electrical apparatus and equipment to ensure safe and efficient power system operation.
· Conduct emergent, investigative and scheduled tests on generation, transmission and distribution system electrical apparatus and equipment, cables, metering, telecommunications and protective relaying facilities by coordinating line and equipment clearances.
· Carry out specialized tests required to analyze and assess inherent faults or conditions including power quality and radio or television frequency interference.
· Compile and record test data on telecommunications, relay characteristic tests and other associated electrical equipment.
· Install, test and commission a wide range of generation, substation and terminal station communication and protective schemes.
· Assess and organize those conditions that must be dealt with in the installation and maintenance of telecontrol equipment such as, two-way radios, repeater sites, microwave radio, powerline carrier, supervisory control, telemetering equipment, telecontrol standby power equipment and security systems.
· Read, interpret and troubleshoot complex protective relaying schemes and determine any corrective actions needed to solve problems.
· As required, undertake cost estimates, basic designs, job planning, scheduling, work documentation and reports.
· Liaise with other internal or external parties to provide technical expertise as required.
· Willing and able to provide technical training in areas covered under job duties to others in the workforce including those at a lower employee classification.
· Subject to Standby and Callouts. Will be required to establish residence as per the Standby policy.
· Perform duties normally carried out by a lower classification employee.
Special Skill Requirements:
· Demonstrated interpersonal skills (written/oral) to effectively communicate with crews, staff and public
· Effective job execution skills with good problem-solving abilities
· Self-starter with ability to work well on own and as a part of a team
· Adaptable and confident – able to maintain a constructive, positive attitude when plans change
Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
· Diploma in Electrical or Electronics Technology
· Journeyman Electrician certification
· Practical experience in work related to generating, substation or terminal station equipment
· Must possess a strong computer background
· Practical experience in the use of tools and electrical testing equipment
· Must be holder of a valid Class 5 Driver’s License
Employees of Fortis Inc and subsidiaries are eligible for a $3,000.00 Employee Referral Reward!
Please Click here to request a Referral Form: Referral Form
This is an IBEW bargaining unit position and offers a rate of $38.68 hourly, along with a competitive benefits package. FortisBC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note: Apply directly to the careers email email@example.com or fax 866-610-5137 with Reference code: CP&C Technologist- BCU09-110. Help us to conserve and protect our environment by applying on line to avoid unnecessary paper usage.
FortisBC thanks all applicants for their interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted.